Our Standard Booking Policies – 2021 TripsBOOKING A NEW TRIP FOR 2021
How to Sign Up: Our incredible team of Trip Consultants is on hand Monday – Friday 8 a.m.– 5 p.m. PT, and weekends 8 a.m. – 2 p.m. PT, to book you on the perfect trip. Call 800-GO-ACTIVE (800-462-2848) or your professional travel advisor. Our web site at www.backroads.com is open for most bookings 24 hours a day.
Price: Prices are per person based on double occupancy, quoted in US dollars, and are set well in advance of the trip departure date. Our prices vary depending on a variety of cost factors, with peak travel dates being the most expensive. Prices may change during the course of the year. You can always find the most current prices on our website, or by calling us. Once you book your Backroads trip, your price is guaranteed. Prices cover land costs only; they do not include airfare to and from the trip. Trip prices include baggage transfers, porterage and all ground transportation during your trip. Please see the web page for each trip for the specific details for all items included in the trip price. Local taxes may be charged on some trips. River Cruise Trips are subject to port fees. Pro carbon and tandem bikes may incur an additional shipping charge.
Trip Deposits: Deposits may be made by check, money order, wire transfer in US dollars or a major credit card.
• The deposit is $600 per person for Scheduled Departures ($1,000 per person for Special Departures) and is fully refundable up to 15 days after you book when you sign up 15 days or more before the final payment due date.
• For Private & Custom Departures a $2,000 group deposit is required to initiate your request and secure your itinerary for your group. The Private Trip deposit is fully refundable for two weeks while you gather your group. Once confirmed, the initial $2,000 deposit may be applied toward the first two individuals to sign up and a $1,000 per person deposit is required for subsequent guests. If we are creating custom dates for your group, the $2,000 deposit is non-refundable once the date is confirmed by Backroads.
Paying Your Balance: The balance of your trip cost is due according to the chart below. We automatically bill the credit card on file when the balance is due, unless otherwise instructed. Balances may be paid by check, money order, wire transfer in US dollars or by major credit card. If final payment is not received when due, Backroads reserves the right to cancel your reservation.
Guest Transfer & Cancellation Policy: If you must cancel your reservation, your cancellation fee will be determined according to the terms outlined in the chart below.
• Scheduled Trips: Transfers to another trip or credit on account for a future trip are only allowed before the final payment due date, after which time cancellation fees. If the new trip costs more than your original trip, you must pay the difference. Reductions in the group size may result in an increased trip price due at final payment.
• Private & Custom Trips: Transfers to another trip or credit on account for a future trip are only allowed before 155 days prior to the trip, after which time cancellation fees apply. If the new trip costs more than your original trip, you must pay the difference. Reductions in the group size may result in an increased trip price due at final payment.
• For Special Departures†: Transfers to another trip or credit on account for a future trip are only allowed before 155 days prior to the trip, after which time cancellation fees apply.
Exceptions to our cancellation policy cannot be made for any reason, including but not limited to weather, terrorism, civil unrest, epidemics or the thread thereof, personal, family or medical emergencies or force majeure. There is no refund for arriving late or leaving a trip early. Private rooms, staterooms and internal air charges are considered part of the total trip cost and are subject to cancellation fees. We encourage guests to consider our Travel Protection plans for cancellations reasons that fall outside of Backroads’ policy.
Backroads reserves the right to suspend departures in cases of force majeure or the failure of third parties—such as hotels or ships—to honor their reservations, in which case, all payments received to date will be transferred on account for use on a future trip (must be used within 24 months). Backroads is not responsible for expenses that are incurred in preparation for any suspended trips, such as airline tickets, or for costs that are incurred due to travel delays, flight cancellations or illness. All policies subject to change.
Deposit & Payment Terms (per person)
Scheduled Trips** Private Trips Custom & Special Departures***
Deposit $600 $1,000 $1,000
Final Payment Due 95 days to trip start 95 days to trip start 155 days to trip start
Cancellation Fees (per person)
Days Prior to Trip Scheduled Trips Private Trips Custom & Special Departures
156+ days $200* $600* $600*
96 – 155 days $200* $1,000 30%
61 – 95 days 30% 50% 50%
31 – 60 days 60% 75% 75%
0 – 30 days 100% 100% 100%
* Rather than paying the cancellation fee, you may choose to keep your trip deposit on account to use on a future Backroads trip for use within 24 months.
** Final payment for Rendezvous is due 95 days prior to departure. There is a $400 group fee if your group cancels the Rendezvous option inside 60 days.
*** Special Departures: Ocean & River Cruises; Africa Safaris; Vietnam & Cambodia Walking & Hiking; Peru Trekking and possible others as noted on our website.
Bike Cancellation Policy: If you have upgraded to a Cannondale or Co-Motion Tandem, a full cancellation fee will apply in the event you cancel your trip reservation inside 30 days.
Trip Forms & Release of Liability: Guests are required to complete and sign our Release, Assumption of All Risks, and Binding Arbitration Agreement and the Personal Information Form. These forms will be available in your Backroads account for your convenience. We require all forms to be completed prior to final payment. We are unable to allow guests to participate in any aspect of a Backroads trip without a signed release form.
Due to COVID-19, we have relaxed and updated our standard policies as follows:
What if my trip is postponed due to travel restrictions:
For trips in international destinations where the borders aren’t open yet for American travelers, we will be reviewing trips at 65 days but no later than 35 days prior to departure (or closer as the situation changes) to determine if it is feasible to run the trip. In the event your trip is postponed, we will place 100% of your trip funds (including Travel Protection Plan, if applicable) on account along with an additional bonus credit per guest to be used for future travel.*
*All funds and credit must be applied to a new reservation by 12/31/23.
Travel in 2021 with more flexibility:
Backroads is providing new, more flexible booking policies in order for you to plan your future travel with complete peace of mind.
Choose from thousands of worldwide trips in 2021 and 2022, which are all available to explore online and book now! When you’re ready to travel, give us a call. We love to share our passion for travel and our trips.
Sign Up With No Risk
Your Deposit Is FULLY REFUNDABLE
• Your deposit is fully refundable up to 15 days after you book. Only applies to deposits made at least 15 days or more before your final payment is due.
• Does not apply to Special Departures, Private Trips and reservations made with deposit funds from 2020 or earlier.
Your Deposit Is FULLY TRANSFERABLE
You may transfer to another trip or place your deposit on account for a future trip prior to your final payment date. On Special Departures, Private Trips and Custom Trips, you can transfer deposits to a new trip prior to 155 days before your trip start.
Your Final Payment Is DUE LATER
• Final payment is due at 65 days (rather than 95 days) prior to your trip start for Scheduled and Private Trips up to 5/31/21. After 6/1/21 final payment is due at 95 days for Scheduled and Private Trips.
• Final payment is due at 65 days (rather than 155 days) prior to your trip start for Custom Trips and Special Departures up until 5/31/21.
• Final payment is due at 95 days (rather than 155 days) prior to your trip start for Custom Trips and Special Departures from 6/1/21 to 10/31/21 and after 11/1/21 is due at 155 days before your trip start.
As we’ve learned during this past year, what makes sense today may not make sense tomorrow. Please understand that we reserve the right to change these policies without prior notice due to this very fluid and unpredictable situation.
Our experienced and dedicated Travel Consultants team is awaiting your call to talk travel and book your next Backroads vacation.
Read about what to expect when traveling with us during this unique time.